Tuesday, November 26, 2013

On the Easel


2 weeks ago I had the opportunity to take yet another workshop with Abbey Ryan at the 
John F. Peto Studio Museum in Island Heights, NJ.  
It is a lovely restored home/studio of the artist who was known for Tromp l'oeil (to fool the eye). 
 Peto's props where all over the home as well as a gallery upstairs which had an amazing Tromp l' oeil exhibit including 3 pieces of Abbey's.  One of the props that caught my eye was a ceramic beer bottle just like the one I had brought from home, so I knew I had to use it.  
Thank you Vintage Stew for selling me that bottle!

The small unfinished painting in the middle is from the workshop.  Abbey helped me get the correct colors of the pear and there were supposed to be some figs on the right...those got scrubbed out.  SO  it was used as a study for a larger painting when returning home.  I used the same props from the workshop except added an old green book, and yes that is the same pear.   

 
This is my alomost finished 12x16 version.  I think it needs a little tweeking on the symetry of the bottle and not sure what else yet, so going to let it sit a few more day's...  Thoughts and comments are welcome.

This finished painting is available framed $300 please contact Renee Brennan


7 comments:

Sandi said...

Agree on the symmetry of the bottle. BUT, it is a very, very fine painting.

Darla McDowell said...

Renee, this painting is absolutely beautiful. I love the feeling of light that you captured. So lovely!

Renee Brennan said...

Thank you Sandi...I may darken the background as well.
Thank you Darla! I think we have some things in common ;)

Jenn said...

Renee, this is lovely. I really like the props you've chosen. The beer bottle is especially interesting, and I love anything with a book in it :)

Helen Cooper said...

Love the composition Renee ! The book looks fantastic!!!
Yes symmetry of bottle is what I noticed ......otherwise a really lovely painting ... :-D

Renee Brennan said...

Thank you Helen:)

artisoo said...

nice still life!